Cisco and Google Partner on New Hybrid Cloud Solution
October 2017 by Marc Jacob
Cisco and Google Cloud announced a partnership to deliver a hybrid cloud solution that helps customers maximize their investments across cloud and on-premises environments. The companies will provide a unique and open hybrid cloud offering that enables applications and services to be deployed, managed and secured across on-premises environments and Google Cloud Platform. The solution delivers cloud speed and scale, with enterprise-class security.
The offering provides enterprises with a way to run, secure and monitor workloads, thus enabling them to optimize their existing investments, plan their cloud migration at their own pace and avoid vendor lock in. Companies can now develop new applications in the cloud or on premises, consistently using the same developer tools, run time, and production environment.
The joint Cisco and Google Cloud hybrid solution helps developers leverage managed Kubernetes, GCP Service Catalog, Cisco networking and security, and Istio authentication and service mesh monitoring. Enterprise app developers can securely access cloud APIs, and cloud developers can securely access enterprise APIs and on-premises resources.
Cisco and Google Cloud hybrid solution highlights:
● Orchestration and Management – Policy-based Kubernetes orchestration and lifecycle management of resources, applications and services across hybrid environments
● Networking – Extend network policy and configurations to multiple on-premises and cloud environments
● Security – Extend Security policy and monitor applications behavior
● Visibility and Control – Real-time network and application performance monitoring and automation
● Cloud-ready Infrastructure – Hyperconverged platform supporting existing application and cloud-native Kubernetes environments
● Service Management with Istio – Open-source solution provides a uniform way to connect, secure, manage and monitor microservices
● API Management – Google’s Apigee enterprise-class API management enables legacy workloads running on premises to connect to the cloud through APIs
● Developer Ready – Cisco’s DevNet Developer Center provides tools and resources for cloud and enterprise developers to code in hybrid environments
● Support – Joint coordinated technical support for the solution
The solution will be available to a limited number of customers during the first part of 2018, with planned general availability later in the year.
In support of this partnership, DevNet – Cisco’s Developer Network – offers a set of tools for enterprise and IoT developers to explore open source technologies, build hybrid cloud solutions, and further develop IoT opportunities. The Cisco DevNet Sandbox provides instant access to hardware and software developer environments at no cost to help developers quickly explore and create solutions. Developers can get started with Kubernetes and container networking using Contrive in the Sandbox, or take a DevNet learning track on cloud-native development or edge computing to get started today. In addition, developers using Google Cloud have access to a wealth of information, tools, and documentation from the innovator in container management and Kubernetes.